The TEA Budgeting Guidelines are very informative and really helped me realize just how complex the whole budgeting process is. It is very comprehensive as it gave a great overview of what a budget is and how the process works.
I liked the descriptions it gave about site-based budgeting and zero-based budgeting. When I met with out chief financial officer, he told me that our budget was a combination of the two. However, I believe most of the budgeting decisions for the district are still site-based. When I read TEA’s description of site-based budgeting, I realized that this is exactly what I am asked to do every year as a campus principal.
The section on TEA legal requirements would be very beneficial when preparing a budget. There are a lot of legalities involved and so it is important to make sure the district is in compliance. This is where the TEA Budgeting Guidelines would be beneficial. It would be easy to forget one of these important steps without these guidelines in place.
The TEA Guidelines also listed all the stakeholders as well as their roles and responsibilities. This would be invaluable information to help ensure that you do not leave important stakeholders out of the loop. This information also serves to make sure that the groups are operating in their correct capacity. For example, this section lists the campus improvement committee. Using this chart would ensure that you do not leave the CIC out of the process while at the same time serves as a reminder that they are to review the preliminary budget and non-allocated fund requests. This would be important information to have on hand while preparing the year’s budget. As a principal, this section lists all of my duties involved with budget preparation.
I would also rely heavily on the budget calendar when preparing a budget. Our class assignment of listing the top five dates helped me really understand these dates better. Many of these dates serve as guidelines to help the budget process stay on track. These dates would be key in helping meet the mandatory dates. The dates would serve to help meet the end of August deadline to have the budget adopted. No one would have all these dates and actions memorized, so having them listed in one place is a great resource.
I found this document to be very thorough but also gave me a little information overload. I found appendix I, School-Based Budgeting Guidelines Sample to be helpful. This document took all the important parts from the TEA Guidelines and synthesized it into a budget plan. The appendix gave a simple five step process to budget planning. I would find this information very helpful to reference when planning a budget.
No comments:
Post a Comment